Thursday, August 11, 2011

Wine with Eggs?

            Eventually you come to the realization that you can’t always eat gourmet meals like hamburger and pizza all the time.  Sometimes you have to settle for something a little more mundane … like bacon and eggs (remember the commercial eggs are not just for breakfast any more).  So we fried up a half pound of bacon and then cooked some eggs over easy in the bacon grease.  Complimented with a couple of slices of toast and you almost have the perfect quick dinner.
            There is just one problem with this dinner and it is an age old question that has kept me awake many nights … just what wine pairs with bacon and eggs?  I was ready to settle for the Cameron Hughes Merlot that I used for the crab pairing (if for no other reason than to aggravate Tom) but when I posed the question to my son, he suggested that a Pinot Noir might go well. 
So I dove into the wine cellar and extracted a Cooper Station Pinot Noir from California.  This 2009 is an excellent smooth wine with hints of cherry.  I have to say despite my initial skepticism, the wine went well with the meal (although I have to also admit that I usually didn’t take a sip of wine until I had filled my pallet with bacon and toast).  The smoky bacon paired especially well and of course the final pairing with chocolate was first-rate.

1 comment: