Monday, August 15, 2011

Onions as Good as Potatoes

We decided to have pork loin for dinner.  I like to fix it in my favorite cooking vessel a Le Creuset French pot.  I cook it with a heavy coating of Cruz Bay Grill Rub; then brown it on all sides on high heat and then add some red wine, cover and let it simmer on low for about 20 minutes.
We paired the pork with roasted brussel sprouts and I thought about roasted potatoes (either sweet or white).  Although I have to admit I was really looking forward to roasted rosemary potatoes which are like French fries.  Unfortunately, we did not have any potatoes of either kind.  My first thought was this was a disaster but then I thought if I couldn’t have “French fries” perhaps “onion rings” would be just as good.  So I took a couple of Vidalia onions and sliced them into thin rings, then coated them with olive oil and seasoned with salt, pepper, and roasted cumin.  These were spread out on a cookie sheet and roasted at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes.   Success … they came out crunchy and similar enough to onion rings to satisfy my taste buds.
The wine we chose was a 2005 Bordeaux.  The Vieux Chateau Landon we selected was a Cru Bourgeois from the Medoc region and was delicate, medium colored, and elegant.  It paired very well with the pork, the onions and even better with the chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment