Saturday, June 18, 2011

First Lunch



I know the title of this blog insinuates we will be focusing on wine ... but I am an equal opportunity drinker.  In that vein, I thought I would start out the blog with the first meal I have had since I started … my lunch today. We had two kinds of smoked barbeque which a friend had smoked in his backyard smoker a couple of weeks ago (don’t worry we kept it in the freezer).  I can’t remember the name of one of them but for some reason the “butt rub” sticks in my mind.  Actually it tasted good in spite of the name.  Sally made cole slaw and potato salad to ensure it was the perfect high caloric lunch. I topped it off with a Fred Red beer from Blue and Gray Brewing Co in Fredericksburg VA. This is a local craft brewery which my son and I visited this morning.  They were very helpful and graciously poured us several large samples of their brew.  We brought back a couple of growlers of our favorite and then enjoyed them with the barbeque.  As much as I love wine, I have to admit the beer was a perfect compliment to the lunch.  It brought out the smoky flavors of the meat and the remainder of the growlers improved the afternoon immensely.  Hopefully dinner will be just as memorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment