Monday, June 20, 2011

Bad Science


Once again we had a “problem” deciding what to have for dinner.  Luckily while we were in town, we stopped by Wegmans and discovered that they had fresh caught Mahi-Mahi for sale!   Problem solved … we would have fish for dinner.   I cooked up some roasted Brussels sprouts (cut in half with olive oil, cumin, nutmeg, salt, & pepper).  This was complimented with tomatoes with basil and a scoop of cottage cheese.   The fish was cooked with “Island Fish Spice” which is produced by Sunny Caribbee.  This spice is another one of our favorites which we purchased from St John Spice (many of you may be detecting a theme here).  After browning the fish on both sides, I splashed a little Italian Limoncello in the pan (since I didn’t have any real lemons or limes) and covered to let it finish cooking.
The next challenge was what wine to serve with the Mahi.  Well Sally wanted a BIG red (since we had been playing it safe for the last few dinners) so I searched through the wine cellar and pulled out a Cabernet Sauvignon – Syrah blend from Chile.  This MontGras Reserva is a 2009 wine from the Colchagua Valley which sells for about $10.   It is produced and bottled by Vina MontGras S. A. which according to the bottle is the “Best Chilean Wine Producer 2002 IWSC”.  I have no idea what the rules for the “International Wine and Spirit Competition” are but I am sure you can look it up on the internet if you are interested.  Anyway, the important thing to us was how it tasted and I can say it was GREAT.  We really enjoyed this wine … especially with the fish.  I know Tom will disagree and his links to solid science not with standing this was a fine combination and one which we would repeat.  The scientific link seems to imply that the reason for the bad taste is the iron content of the wine.  I looked very carefully at the bottle but could not find any mention of the iron content J so all I can say to the proof about red wine not going with fish is … there is a lot of bad science out there.  Now it is time for some chocolate which I know for a fact will go well with this wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment