Sunday, May 13, 2012

Playing with the New Machine


Sorry, it has been a while since I have been inspired to write on this blog, but the spring weather today has certainly inspired me!  First let me apologize for the lack of wine in this posting.  We recently purchased a “Margarita Machine” and I just had to try it (mainly to reward my wife on Mothers day … that’s my story and I am sticking to it).  First I made some BBCs with banana, coconut rum, Baileys, and Disaronno.  These were very good but I have yet to get the hang of the “machine” to make a silky smooth daiquiri type drink.  I followed this up with some home made margaritas which were of the right consistency.  I guess there is a reason it is called a Margarita Machine.


            Meanwhile I actually cooked something for dinner!  Since the basil is in, we started off with caprese.   As you can see from the picture, this turned out very well and there was enough basil to make it the way I like it and not the way it seems you get it in Italy (with just a small taste of basil).  


            We also had some left over rice which my wife had the idea to combine with broccoli, fresh lemon juice, and dried cherries.  This and some roasted onions turned out to be very good side dishes for the main course of Salmon.  
            When we last went to Wegmans (yes that is still our grocery store of choice) they had "King Salmon" for a premium price.  Although we had never had this version of Salmon before, knowing that Sunday would be a special day (remember Mothers Day?) we elected to splurge on this fish and boy am I glad we did!  The fish was melt in your mouth good and when topped with a mild horseradish sauce was truly memorable (it even paired well with the Margaritas).  


            To return to one of the main reasons for this blog, we finished the dinner with a Port from Veritas.  This is a Virginia winery which has a special place in our heart since it is where our son will be getting married this summer.  Anyway, the Port was an excellent pairing with the dessert chocolate. All things considered, I believe my wife had a good mother’s day and I know I did also.

7 comments:

  1. The drinks were oh so yummy!!! Thanks for a FANTASTIC mother's day!!! The salmon was absolutely killer..... so, so good!!! Best of all though, was the caprese. I really love fresh herbs and this was the BEST!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome Back! You are right about the caprese! Love the fresh basil - makes a pretty picture too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and I should have mentioned the Margarita machine was a HUGE waste of money! The blender did a much better job of the drinks. But by the time we had the margaritas - the consistancy was much, much better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rich - this is Justin's friend from DC and now Texas. The best BBC (no baileys but a fully-loaded banana based smoothie) I've ever had contains 2 bananas, 5 pitted medjuul dates, lot of ice, vanilla soy milk, simple syrup and a little bit of honey (best if the honey is mixed into the simple syrup). I don't use Baileys but instead just use dark spiced rum (or dark rum). They are absolutely incredible but as a disclaimer, i have not had your version before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that the banana boozie recipe from Kingswood in the West Village? I had forgotten about those but Dad you should try out that recipe because those drinks are out of this world amazing.

      Delete
    2. They are. I just brought them back into fashion and my friends in Dallas said that they were 'the best frozen drink they've ever had'. I wrote out the recipe for one of the guys and have enclosed it below for your enjoyment if you want to check it out.

      Preparation

      1:1 boiling water and table sugar in sauce pan until sugar is completely dissolved (simple syrup). remove from heat so the liquid doesn't burn
      1:1 simple syrup and honey (can be normal honey or can use something more fancy) and mix well. This liquid will taste just like honey but will be thinned out so it wont clump in the drink. Lot of bartenders use simple syrups in drinks for that reason.

      Blender

      2 bananas
      5 pitted dates
      Cover with substantial amount of ice. I fill at least half way up
      Full the blender with Vanilla flavored soy milk (Silk is a good choice here). Not sure about how much to add, but i go 3/4 the way up to where the ice was in step 3.
      Add the honey/simple syrup liquid - probably a few tablespoons
      Blend it until its a delicious smoothie
      Shot of spiced or dark rum (Kraken, Myers) in bottom of pint glass
      Pour in smoothie and lightly mix with spoon

      That is how you make a banana boozie.

      Delete
  5. Thanks Andrew, I will definitely have to try this out. Looking forward to seeing you and Steph at the wedding. This from "Red Bull Stutler".

    ReplyDelete