Saturday, July 9, 2011

Brussel Sprouts


When I was a kid, I hated brussel sprouts.  I can’t say that my mom made them very often but it was never a treat when she did.  Boiled and mushy and not very tasty and poor Sally had much the same memories from her childhood … so one might ask why we now have them at least once a week.  It turns out it is all in how you cook them.  We have discovered that we really like roasted brussel sprouts.  To cook them, I clean and cut each sprout in half.  Put them on a cookie sheet and drizzle with olive oil, and season with plenty of salt, pepper, roasted cumin and fresh ground nutmeg.  By the way, it is important that you use actual fresh ground nutmeg … I got introduced to fresh nutmeg in the islands as a garnish on a painkiller and a bushwhacker and have never gone back to the stuff in a bottle.  The fresh ground makes all the difference!  Anyway after I have seasoned the brussel sprouts I put them in a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until they are golden brown.  The result is a crunchy and flavorful vegetable that tastes great.

We paired the brussel sprouts with roasted broccoli and chicken fixed with the Cruz Bay Grill Rub (as I have mentioned before).  This made an excellent and healthy meal which we enjoyed with a Bordeaux Superieur.  This 2005 wine was from the Chateau Cazat Beauchene.  This was a medium to full bodied wine with a nose of dark cherry and a hint of oak and vanilla.  We purchased it from Wegmans for $10 and it was worth every penny. 
As we were finishing our dinner we had a guest at the Trattoria.  This is quite unusual since we don’t really advertise our meal times but as you can see from the picture below, he seemed to enjoy munching on the greens … I was just disappointed it was not Easter and he therefore did not bring any chocolate to go with our wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment