Friday, September 2, 2011

German Heritage

My father thought I should pay some homage to my own heritage by sampling some traditional German fare in this blog.  So I thought, what could be more German than Sausage and Sauerkraut?   We bought some spicy chorizo chicken sausage from Wegmans.  These are not only low in fat, they are also very tasty.  We paired it with some sauerkraut we also purchased from Wegmans.  I split the sausages lengthwise and sautéed them in a pan, heated up the sauerkraut and had the start of a great dinner.  We had decided to make sandwiches with this combination so we purchased a loaf of focachia bread; split it and cut it into sandwich sized pieces.  Now all we needed was some Thousand Island dressing for the sandwich but (oh-no) we did not have any!  So my creative wife decided to try to make her own version.  She combined mayo, ketchup, relish, and some mustard and thereby made a great spread for the sandwiches.  Lastly, we added some whole wheat taco chips.
The only question was what drink to pair with the sandwiches.  If I were to follow my usual rule of thumb (pair food with wine from the same region) I guess I would pair the meal with Riesling or more likely some German beer.  Unfortunately we had neither so I selected a Spanish Tempranillo.  Campo Viejo is a 2005 Reserva which I have to say successfully complemented the sausage.  Of course it also went well with the German chocolate for dessert.

No comments:

Post a Comment